Foreigners’ Identity Number – NIE – Número de Identificación de Extrajeros.
Many of you feel lost when you find out that you have to apply for the NIE, if you are going to spend more than 3 months in Spain. Many of you ask me what you have to fill in, when to apply for it and where to submit the NIE application.
With this post I intend to solve these doubts and help you to do so.
Who must apply for NIE?
Citizens of a Member State of the European Union or of another state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area have the right to reside in Spanish territory for a period exceeding three months. The interested parties will be obliged to apply personally to the Foreigners’ Office of the province where they are living to apply for NIE, Número de Identificación de Extranjeros.
The application must be submitted within three months to the arrival to Spain.
In what cases you will need to have the NIE?
- If you want to open a bank account.
- If you want to get a Spanish phone number-SIM card.
- If you want to enrol at a university, official Spanish language school or any other course subsidized by the Spanish State.
- If your family has to make you an insurance policy so you can drive the car
What will you need to appy for the NIE?
You can check the instructions to fill-in in English.
- Original and copy of the complete passport, or identity card.
- Host family acceptance form signed by both parts – Invitation letter.
- European Insurance card- – medical insurance.
How much will cost you?
Where you have to present the NIE?
You must present these documents in the police station nearest your residence in Spain.